Plaster – A Timeless Tradition
Venetian stucco is a type of finish that can be applied to walls, ceilings and other surfaces. It is also commonly known as Italian lime plaster, polished plaster or Venetian plaster. Venetian stucco has been in used for well over a thousand years and was popularised in the late medieval Italy and Venice, from which it draws its modern name. The material has made a comeback in the recent years and is often preferred by homeowners and commercial establishments for its stand-out aesthetics, durability and beautiful looks.
Venetian stucco can be applied to both interior and exterior surfaces. On the exterior, it is often used as a render so that cement is mixed into the composition. On the interior, however, the Venetian stucco serves as an excellent finishing material of choice.
What is the Composition of Venetian Stucco?
The main ingredient in the composition of Venetian stucco is lime. Other ingredients that are added to lime include sand and marble dust. These materials are often used to affect the thickness and texture of the stucco. Water is used as a bonding agent so that it helps the lime cure and become incredibly hard upon drying. Given its excellent bonding properties, Venetian stucco can be applied to a wide range of surfaces. To give stucco various colours, craftsmen use different pigments. Other additives may also be used to affect the feel and look of the stucco.
Benefits of Venetian Stucco
Venetian Stucco offers a number of benefits compared to many other materials of wall finishing such as tiles or marble. Here is a look at some of these benefits:
- Venetian stucco has excellent waterproof properties. This makes it an ideal finish in areas regularly exposed to water such as bathrooms and kitchen sinks. Stucco is breathable so that it allows humidity to escape without retaining any water.
- It is made from 100% organic materials which are environment-friendly and conducive to good health. This makes it preferable over any other non-organic wall finishes.
- Venetian stucco is fireproof. All the ingredients used in it are non-inflammable so that it serves as a natural fire-resistant barrier.
- It is incredibly versatile. You can choose from endless colours, textures and other options to get a finish that will match virtually any décor and requirements.
- When it comes to wall finishes, Venetian stucco is sure to stand out and inspire. It has a traditional but unusual look which can be accentuated by burnishing the finish for great depth and luminosity.
- Venetian stucco is excellently resistant to scratches and dents. Any stains on the stucco can be easily washed away without damage to the finish itself.
- As a wall or ceiling finish, stucco is exceptionally durable.
- It can be used in hallways, living rooms and virtually any other interior space. With the endless effects and options to choose from, you can easily get a finish that is to your liking.